Thursday 9 February 2012

Let's begin

I just threw out the paragraph I started about blank canvasses and unstarted exercise books. Starting something new is daunting, yes, but it’s also exciting. And you have to start somewhere. So let’s begin.

Feasts and treasure is, at least mainly, about children’s books. It’s about discovering a great book to buy for your nine year old nephew, when you know he loves reading but have no idea what nine year old boys like to read. It’s about finding a book for your friend’s twelve year old daughter, who has discovered romance but finds vampires frightening. It’s about rediscovering books you read or had read to you as a child, that you can buy for and read with your own children.

And how do I mean to help you on this voyage of book discovery? I’m glad you asked. I aim to do it by gathering recommendations, both from parents and teachers and booksellers and writers and librarians, and from a rigorously selected band of intrepid book-consuming children who read what they like and like what they read and aren’t afraid to tell you exactly what they think.

That’s feasts and treasure in the simplest of nutshells. It may get more complex than that, but then again, it’s equally possible that it may get less complex. It may also feature, at some point, photographs of leaves I have swished through and babies I have played with and cakes I have baked and snow I have walked in. It’s possible, I’m not going to lie to you. I hope that doesn’t put you off; it’d be nice if you stuck about for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment